If you heard me speak recently or were in one of my innovation classes, here is where you can learn more. If you want any specific slides, email me at jp(at)FTForge.com and let me know what you’re looking for. Each of my decks are typically over 100MB and are too big to email, plus I rarely use the exact same deck twice.
What is your organization’s innovation maturity? What are your innovation priorities? Take a free innovation assessment: https://www.ftforge.com/inventory
Learn More About the FIRE™ Process (Fast, Iterative, Responsive Experiments) and its underlying modern agile principals
Videos and Additional Materials:
Here are some of the videos and other materials that I use in my classes to help explain and illustrate certain topics:
- API Explainer (3:16)
- BankSimple (now Simple) at FinovateFall 2011 (7:25)
- BBVA Open Talent 2018 (2:27)
- Bitcoin – NYT: After the Bitcoin Boom: Hard Lessons for Cryptocurrency Investors
- Blockchain Demystified (10:27)
- Blue Ocean Strategy (2:25)
- Business Model Canvas explainer video (3:32)
- Business Model Canvas andValue Proposition Canvas tools: https://strategyzer.com/canvas.
- Capital One Innovation Lab (3:06)
- CBW Bank – NYT Article: Small Bank in Kansas is a Financial Testing Ground
- CUnexUs at FinovateSpring 2016 (6:30)
- Design Thinking: What is Design Thinking? (1:50)
- Elements of Value HBR Article
- Fidor Bank – Treat your Customers Like Co-Managers (20:03, especially 7:30-10:09)
- Gang of Four: Apple / Amazon / Facebook / Google (Scott Galloway/NYU) (16:18)
- Jeff Bezos & Amazon – An Inside Look (1999) (13:12, especially 10:42-11:37)
- Jill Castilla, the Social CEO (18:42, especially 8:11-12:40)
- Jobs to Be Done (4:47)
- Lean Startup Lesson (3:49)
- Lean Startup on HBR Ideacast: When Startups Scrapped the Business Plan (27:00, especially 19:55-25:50)
- Lean Startup HBR Article: How the Lean Start-Up Changes Everything
- Mark Zuckerberg on the Masters of Scale Podcast (29:15, especially 2:20-6:07)
- Making Friend with Fintech: Tips for Bankers (article)
- RBS Open Banking (29:19, especially 6:55-8:35)
- SizeUp at FinovateSpring 2015 (6:34)
- Starling Bank Hackathon (2:29)
- Strands at FinovateFall 2016 (7:03)
- TED – Chris Urmson: How a driverless car sees the road (15:29)
- Uber: The Beginning of Uber (original pitch deck)
Bonus Materials and Frequently Asked Questions:
What are some of your favorite podcasts?
Well, I am a little biased. I am co-host of Breaking Banks, the world’s #1 global fintech podcast and radio show that was created by world-renowned fintech founder, speaker, and author Brett King in 2013. We built on that success to create Provoke.fm, a full media platform with multiple shows from other well known thought leaders, including:
- Breaking Banks Asia-Pacific – Simon Spencer talks with the innovators across the Asia Pacific region about their innovations and the shifts in customer behavior that are forecasting what will happen in the rest of the world.
- Fintech5 – Jason Henrichs takes a glimpse behind the scenes with the game changers in money and technology, in a short-form podcast that focuses on 5 critical questions to leaders in fintech and financial services.
- Serial Intrapreneur – My own show, where I do deeper dive interviews with leaders who battle the status quo inside larger enterprises to innovate and drive change.
Some of my favorite episodes and interviews:
Beyond that, these are some of the (unaffiliated) business podcasts that I listen to regularly:
What books do you recommend? (affiliate links*):
- Augmented: Life in the Smart Lane – Brett King
- Bankruption: How Community Banking Can Survive Fintech – John Waupsh (w/ JP Nicols)
- Before Babylon, Beyond Bitcoin: From Money that we Understand to Money that Understands Us – Dave Birch
- Blue Ocean Strategy: How to Create Uncontested Market Space and Make Competition Irrelevant – Kim and Mauborgne
- Blue Ocean Shift: Beyond Competing – Proven Steps to Inspire Confidence and Seize New Growth – Kim and Mauborgne
- Bank 2.0: How Customer Behavior and Technology Change the Future of Financial Services – Brett King
- Bank 3.0: Why Banking is No Longer Somewhere You Go, But Something You Do – Brett King
- Bank 4.0: Embedded, Ubiquitous, Extinct – Brett King
- Breaking Banks: The Innovators, Rogues, and Strategists Rebooting Banking – Brett King
- Business Model Generation: A Handbook for Visionaries, Game Changers, and Challengers – Osterwalder and Pigneur
- Competing Against Luck: The Story of Innovation and Customer Choice – Clayton Christensen
- Crossing the Chasm: Marketing and Selling High-Tech Products to Mainstream Customers – Geoffrey Moore
- Dealing with Darwin: How Great Companies Innovate at Every Phase of their Evolution – Geoffrey Moore
- Digital Bank: Strategies to Launch or Become a Digital Bank – Chris Skinner
- Digital Human: The Fourth Revolution of Humanity Includes Everyone – Chris Skinner
- The Discipline of Market Leaders – Treacy and Wiersma
- Emotional Banking: Fixing Culture, Leveraging FinTech, and Transforming Retail Banks into Brands – Duena Blomstrom (w/ JP Nicols)
- Escape Velocity: Free You Company’s Future from the Pull of the Past – Geoffrey Moore
- The Four Steps to the Epiphany – Steve Blank
- The Innovator’s Dilemma: When New Technologies Cause Great Firms to Fail – Clayton Christensen
- The Innovator’s DNA: Mastering the Five Skills of Disruptive Innovators – Clayton Christensen
- Jumping the S Curve: How to Beat the Growth Cycle, Get on Top, and Stay There Nunes and Breene
- The Lean Startup: How Today’s Entrepreneurs Use Continuous Innovation to Create Radically Successful Businesses – Eric Ries
- Smarter Bank: Why Money Management is More Important than Money Movement to Banks and Credit Unions – Ron Shevlin
- Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days – Knapp and Zeratsky
- Value Proposition Design: How to Create Products and Services Customers Want – Osterwalder and Pigneur
- Value Web: How Fintech Firms are Using Bitcoin, Blockchain and Mobile Technologies to Create the Internet of Value – Chris Skinner
- Virtual Banking: A Guide to Innovation and Partnering – Dan Schatt (w/ JP Nicols)
- The Wide Lens: What Successful Innovators See that Others Miss – Ron Adner
- Zone to Win: Organizing to Compete in an Age of Disruption – Geoffrey Moore
(*I am an Amazon Affiliate. This means I may earn a small commission if you decide to buy the book from these specific links, but I am not paid to promote any specific books.)
What blogs and newsletters do you read regularly?
- FinTech Forge blog
- Jim Marous: The Financial Brand
- Ron Shevlin: Snarketing
- The Financial Revolutionist
- Brett King: Banking4Tomorrow.com
- Chris Skinner: TheFinanser.com
- Dave Birch: Tomorrow’s Transactions
- Bank Innovation
Who are the best fintech people to follow on Twitter?
- My favorites: The FinServ 25: The Most Influential Voices in Banking
- Here’s a good bigger list: Fintech Influencers to Follow in 2018
What are some of your favorite fintech conferences?
How can I keep in touch and learn more about what you’re working on?
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Like my page on Facebook
Learn more about me: About JP Nicols
Hire me to speak at your event or organization: firstname.lastname@example.org
Learn more about how our team at FinTech Forge helps financial institutions build and leverage their innovative capacity internally and through strategic fintech partnerships and investments.
What are some of your most popular blog posts that are relevant to what we discussed?
Effective January 2018 I moved my blogging to my company FTForge.com/blog, where you can read all of my latest posts, plus some great posts from my partners. Here are some of my most popular posts from my own blog: