Thanks for joining my class!
Here is the most up to date version of your class materials:
Here are the full slides (optional additional material), along with the videos and other materials we covered in class:
- Gang of Four: Apple / Amazon / Facebook / Google (Scott Galloway) (16:18)
- API Explainer (3:16)
- RBS Open Banking (29:19, we watched 6:55-8:35)
- Blockchain Demystified (10:27)
- Making Friend with Fintech: Tips for Bankers (article)
- TED – Chris Urmson: How a driverless car sees the road (15:29)
- Finovate Spring: CUnexUs (7:03)
- Fidor Bank – Treat your Customers Like Co-Managers (20:03, we watched 7:30-10:09)
- Lean Startup Lesson (3:49)
- Podcast: Masters of Scale with Mark Zuckerberg (29:15, we listened to 2:20-6:07)
- Finovate 2007: Lending Club (7:30)
- Capital One Innovation Lab (3:06)
- Article: The Beginning of Uber (original pitch deck)
- HBR Article: How the Lean Start-Up Changes Everything
- HBR Ideacast: When Startups Scrapped the Business Plan (27:00, we listened to 20:05-25:50)
- What is Design Thinking? (1:50)
- Jobs to Be Done (4:47)
- FinovateFall 2011: BankSimple (7:25)
- HBR Article: The Elements of Value
- Innovation at BBVA (2:27)
- Jill Castilla, the Social CEO (18:42, we watched 8:11-12:40)
- Blue Ocean Strategy (2:25)
- Business Model Canvas (3:32)
- Starling Bank Hackathon (2:29)
You can find both the Value Proposition Canvas and the Business Model Canvas here: https://strategyzer.com/canvas.
Bonus Materials and Frequently Asked Questions:
What are some of your favorite podcasts?
Well, I am a little biased. I am co-host of Breaking Banks, the world’s #1 global fintech podcast and radio show that was created by world-renowned fintech founder, speaker, and author Brett King in 2013. We built on that success to create Provoke.fm, a full media platform with multiple shows from other well known thought leaders, including:
- Breaking Banks Asia-Pacific – Simon Spencer talks with the innovators across the Asia Pacific region about their innovations and the shifts in customer behavior that are forecasting what will happen in the rest of the world.
- Fintech5 – Jason Henrichs takes a glimpse behind the scenes with the game changers in money and technology, in a short-form podcast that focuses on 5 critical questions to leaders in fintech and financial services.
- Serial Intrapreneur – My own show, where I do deeper dive interviews with leaders who battle the status quo inside larger enterprises to innovate and drive change.
Some of my favorite episodes and interviews:
- Scott Zimmer, Global Head of Design at Capital One
- Anne Boden, CEO of Starling Bank
- Fintech Demo Day at Startup Bootcamp
Beyond that, these are some of the (unaffiliated) business podcasts that I listen to regularly:
What books do you recommend to learn more? (affiliate links):
- Augmented: Life in the Smart Lane – Brett King
- Bankruption: How Community Banking Can Survive Fintech – John Waupsh (w/ JP Nicols)
- Before Babylon, Beyond Bitcoin: From Money that we Understand to Money that Understands Us – Dave Birch
- Blue Ocean Strategy – Kim and Mauborgne
- Bank 3.0 – Brett King
- Breaking Banks – Brett King
- Business Model Generation – Osterwalder and Pigneur
- Competing Against Luck: The Story of Innovation and Customer Choice – Clayton Christensen
- Crossing the Chasm Geoffrey Moore
- Dealing with Darwin: How Great Companies Innovate at Every Phase of their Evolution – Geoffrey Moore
- Digital Bank: Strategies to Launch or Become a Digital Bank – Chris Skinner
- The Discipline of Market Leaders – Treacy and Wiersma
- Escape Velocity – Geoffrey Moore
- The Four Steps to the Epiphany – Steve Blank
- The Innovator’s Dilemma – Clayton Christensen
- The Innovator’s DNA – Clayton Christensen
- Jumping the S Curve Nunes and Breene
- The Lean Startup – Eric Ries
- Smarter Bank – Ron Shevlin
- Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days – Knapp and Zeratsky
- Value Proposition Design – Osterwalder and Pigneur
- Value Web – Chris Skinner
- Virtual Banking: A Guide to Innovation and Partnering – Dan Schatt (w/ JP Nicols)
- The Wide Lens – Ron Adner
- Zone to Win – Geoffrey Moore
What blogs and newsletters do you read regularly?
- FinTech Forge blog
- Jim Marous: The Financial Brand
- Ron Shevlin: Snarketing
- The Financial Revolutionist
- Brett King: Banking4Tomorrow.com
- Chris Skinner: TheFinanser.com
- Dave Birch: Tomorrow’s Transactions
- Bank Innovation
Who are the best fintech people to follow on Twitter?
- My favorites: The FinServ 25: The Most Influential Voices in Banking
- Here’s a good bigger list: Fintech Influencers to Follow in 2018
What are some of your favorite fintech conferences?
How can I keep in touch and learn more about what you’re working on outside of class?
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Like my page on Facebook
Learn more about me: About JP Nicols
- Get my latest blog posts in your email: Subscribe for free, never any spam
- Hire me to speak at your event or organization: email@example.com
Learn more about how our team at FinTech Forge helps financial institutions build and leverage their innovative capacity through strategic fintech partnerships and investments.
What are some of your most popular blog posts that are relevant to class?