Innovation Speaker JP Nicols
Innovation speaker JP Nicols has been internationally recognized as a leading voice for innovation, strategy and leadership for the future of financial services, and his work has been featured in leading publications and conferences worldwide.
JP is a trusted advisor to companies from startups to the Fortune 500, a popular writer, a top rated speaker, and is often quoted in the press on video and in print. He has been named to several lists as an influential thought leader in financial services, including theFinServ 25: The Most Influential Voices in Banking, and others:
- The Best FinTech Influencers with Awesome Blogs (#3)
- Top FinTech Influencers in the United States of America (#5)
- Fintech influencers to Follow in 2018 (#12)
- Top Payment Influencers to Follow on Twitter 2018 (#13)
- Fintech influencers you should be following in 2017 (#15)
- Fintech influencers you should be following in 2016
- The 100 Most Influential Fintech Leaders in 2016
- 25 Must-Read Financial IT Blogs
- 20 Finserv Marketing Influencers You Should Be Following
- 33 Most Followed Fintech Persons
- 20 Finance Technology Influencers You Need to Follow
- 8 FinTech Leaders You Need to Follow
- The Absolute Ultimate Guide of Who’s Who in FinTech
- Top Ten Wealth Management Thought Leaders
- Nine online influencers that shape the future of payments
- Top 25 leading influencers in financial services
- Top 5 Financial Services Thought Leaders
JP’s work has been featured in some of the industry’s top publications, including American Banker, The Financial Brand, BAI Banking Strategies, Investment News, Bank Innovation and many others. See examples here.
After spending 20 years as a part of the leadership team growing a $6B regional bank into an industry leader with over $400B in assets, JP has been a bank innovation expert working at the intersection of fintech, innovation and financial services to help others turn potential into performance.
He is Managing Director of FinTech Forge, which helps financial institutions build and leverage their innovation capacity through strategic fintech partnerships and investments. He was also a founder of the Bank Innovators Council, which is now as a part of Next Money, a global community committed to reinventing finance through design, innovation and entrepreneurship.
He has served in past leadership and innovation roles at top financial institutions, including as the first Chief Private Banking Officer for a top five U.S. bank. He is the creator and instructor of the world’s first class on fintech and innovation for graduate schools of banking, and he is a top rated instructor at the Pacific Coast Banking School graduate school of business held at the University of Washington, the Graduate School of Banking at Wisconsin, the Graduate School of Banking at Colorado, and the Southwest Graduate school of banking at SMU.
He is also cohost of Breaking Banks, the world’s #1 global fintech radio show and podcast, and the flagship program for Provoke.fm. With more than 5.5 million listeners from over 170 countries, it is the #1 business show on VoiceAmerica World Talk Radio. In 2017 he launched his own show on Provoke.fm, Serial Intrapreneur, which tells the stories of leaders who battle the status quo inside their own companies to innovate and drive change.
As an innovation speaker, JP has also been advisor to numerous early stage fintech companies and currently serves on the advisory board of Advizr. He previously served on the advisory board of Balance Financial and as Vice Chair of the board of Forest Ridge School of the Sacred Heart.
Unless reposted or otherwise noted, everything here is my own work and my own opinion, and it is copyrighted with all rights reserved. The thing I love most about being a bank innovation consultant is helping individuals and organizations move from potential to performance. I love helping great people build great businesses.
Disclosures: This blog is free, and I write about things that I think will have value to my readers, period. Sometimes I am paid to attend an event or write about the activities of a company, but I try to make that clear, and I always maintain final editorial control. I do not post sponsored content created by others, and I do not sell my subscriber lists.
I generally have no financial interest in the companies or products I mention, and if I do I try to make that transparent. I or my companies, including, but not limited to Next Money, Provoke.fm Media, and FinTech Forge may do business, or seek to do business in the future with any person or company mentioned here. I usually use affiliate links for any books that I recommend. This means I may earn a small commission if you decide to buy the book from these specific links, but I am not paid to promote any specific books.
My recommended reading list:
- Augmented: Life in the Smart Lane – Brett King
- Bankruption: How Community Banking Can Survive Fintech – John Waupsh (w/ JP Nicols)
- Before Babylon, Beyond Bitcoin: From Money that we Understand to Money that Understands Us – Dave Birch
- Blue Ocean Strategy: How to Create Uncontested Market Space and Make Competition Irrelevant – Kim and Mauborgne
- Blue Ocean Shift: Beyond Competing – Proven Steps to Inspire Confidence and Seize New Growth – Kim and Mauborgne
- Bank 2.0: How Customer Behavior and Technology Change the Future of Financial Services – Brett King
- Bank 3.0: Why Banking is No Longer Somewhere You Go, But Something YOu Do – Brett King
- Bank 4.0: Embedded, Ubiquitous, Extinct – Brett King
- Breaking Banks: The Innovators, Rogues, and Strategists Rebooting Banking – Brett King
- Business Model Generation: A Handbook for Visionaries, Game Changers, and Challengers – Osterwalder and Pigneur
- Competing Against Luck: The Story of Innovation and Customer Choice – Clayton Christensen
- Crossing the Chasm: Marketing and Selling High-Tech Products to Mainstream Customers – Geoffrey Moore
- Dealing with Darwin: How Great Companies Innovate at Every Phase of their Evolution – Geoffrey Moore
- Digital Bank: Strategies to Launch or Become a Digital Bank – Chris Skinner
- Digital Human: The Fourth Revolution of Humanity Includes Everyone – Chris Skinner
- The Discipline of Market Leaders – Treacy and Wiersma
- Emotional Banking: Fixing Culture, Leveraging FinTech, and Transforming Retail Banks into Brands – Duena Blomstrom (w/ JP Nicols)
- Escape Velocity: Free You Company’s Future from the Pull of the Past – Geoffrey Moore
- The Four Steps to the Epiphany – Steve Blank
- The Innovator’s Dilemma: When New Technologies Cause Great Firms to Fail – Clayton Christensen
- The Innovator’s DNA: Mastering the Five Skills of Disruptive Innovators – Clayton Christensen
- Jumping the S Curve: How to Beat the Growth Cycle, Get on Top, and Stay There Nunes and Breene
- The Lean Startup: How Today’s Entrepreneurs Use Continuous Innovation to Create Radically Successful Businesses – Eric Ries
- Smarter Bank: Why Money Management is More Important than Money Movement to Banks and Credit Unions – Ron Shevlin
- Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days – Knapp and Zeratsky
- Value Proposition Design: How to Create Products and Services Customers Want – Osterwalder and Pigneur
- Value Web: How Fintech Firms are Using Bitcoin, Blockchain and Mobile Technologies to Create the Internet of Value – Chris Skinner
- Virtual Banking: A Guide to Innovation and Partnering – Dan Schatt (w/ JP Nicols)
- The Wide Lens: What Successful Innovators See that Others Miss – Ron Adner
- Zone to Win: Organizing to Compete in an Age of Disruption – Geoffrey Moore